It was really interesting to see what the Uni is up to, and how they are working and collaborating with industry groups to help future-proof our industry.
Here are some interesting takeaways from the showcase:
- There needs to be more of a focus on quantifying aspects of food production that span the entire supply chain. Think traceability etc.
- One of the biggest challenges for the livestock sector is reducing their environmental footprint.
- Choosy customers are impacting farm production and the entire supply chain – from a lean towards organics to the push for less red meat in our diets. This can be overcome by communicating positive attributes such as welfare and ethical considerations and product health attributes.
- By 2050 it is estimated that we will need to produce up to 98% percent more food for a growing population with growing demands.
- Climate change is impacting the prevalence of ticks and other pests, with some species migrating into regions that haven’t had problems in the past.