I may not have worked at HC for 10 years like Kendi and Al, but I’m coming up on my sixth year here (where has the time gone?) and man, have I learnt a lot of things during my time at HC.
Working in a small agency team means I get a lot of hands-on experience across so many different client projects – which was one of the main reasons I took this job as a young 22-year-old. That, bundled with the fact I’m working in not-so-typical industries like agricultural and construction, means there are a lot of new skills and terms I’ve learnt on the job, and still learn every day.
Here are my top five takeaways from my six years at HC:
- If you’re out on a shoot or at a client media event, always have the key people you’ll be dealing with that day – whether that is client, photographer, or media – contacts handy. You’ll most likely be texting them throughout the day, so make sure your phone is fully charged too!
- So many construction machinery facts that I randomly can pull out in conversation – a Bobcat is actually a skid steer loader, and the benefits of a zero-swing excavator.
- When you’re working at a field day – go on the hunt for a steak sandwich – this is where you’ll most likely find the best one you’ve ever had!
- Don’t be afraid to have a chat – the clients and their customers we’ve worked with are always so friendly and open for a conversation, you can ask them one question and they’ll spend 10 minutes answering it, because they love what they do and telling people their story, and generally you’ll uncover some hidden content gems.
- Invest in a good pair of comfy boots – if you’re out on the road at field days or at a customer shoot, you’ll most likely be on your feet all day.